Free initial consultation
Licensed for 29 years
William D. Umansky or "The Lawman" as he is affectionately known by his peers has almost two decades of experience offering "Second Chances" to clients who have either been injured as a result of someone else's negligence or who have, unfortunately, been charged with a crime. His practice is based in Central Florida and he advocates for his clients throughout Florida. He is the Managing Partner of the Umansky Law Firm where he directs a team of lawyers dedicated to success and to working hard to try and achieve the results the firm's client's desire. He has appeared or been quoted in many national media outlets including USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, People Magazine, NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX affiliates around the country. Recently, Bill was named a Top Criminal Lawyer by Orlando Home and Leisure Magazine. Bill is a lawyer, entrepreneur, business owner and number one Amazon best selling author of "Power Principles of Success".
Bill's practice is focused on providing his clients with "second chances" and Bill prides himself on working hard to see that people who are injured are given compensation to begin their journey towards a new and better life-- a life they can begin as masters of their own destiny, not merely as victims of circumstance. Bill handles all personal injury cases including car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, sex abuse, negligent security, slip and fall and premise liability cases.
View Recent Case Results
Additionally, Bill has helped numerous people who have become entrenched in the Criminal Justice system after being caught making a mistake. He makes it his mission to provide his clients with the second chance they deserve by getting the charges dropped or reduced. In every case he serves as not just a lawyer but also a counselor, giving his clients the guidance they need to address their particular problem, such as drug or alcohol abuse, so they do not find themselves in trouble again. He has handled all types of Felony, Misdemeanor and Ordinance charges including cases involving drunk driving, drug sale or possession, trafficking, prostitution, mortgage fraud, theft, shoplifting, false imprisonment, ponzi schemes, suspended licenses, battery, domestic violence, obstruction charges and many others.
Bill honed his skills as an attorney by serving as Assistant State Attorney in Florida as well as The City Prosecutor for the City of Orlando. As a prosecutor, Bill gained invaluable experience trying a voluminous number of cases. In addition to working as a prosecutor and criminal defense lawyer, he also worked for two of the most preeminent Personal Injury law firms in Orlando prior to opening his own law firm. Bill has extensive courtroom experience and won't hesitate to try a client's case, when necessary, to try and attain the results his clients need. Bill has an active "mock courtroom" at his office that he uses to prepare his clients to overcome the stress of attending court and to prepare their cases to win.
Bill graduated cum laude from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in Psychology and obtained a law degree from the University of Florida College of Law. During law school, Bill was a member of the University of Florida Trial Team and received a Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Contribution to the University of Florida Law School. He also earned an award for achieving the top grade for his work in Negotiations and Dispute Settlement. Mr. Umansky also attended the Tulane Institute of European Legal Studies.
In addition to his role as a lawyer, Bill has been involved with teaching others about the law. He has also been a Police Academy Instructor, former Police Legal Advisor, an Adjunct Professor at Florida Metropolitan University and a Legislative Assistant to a United States Senator.
Bill Umansky is active in the Orlando community. He is currently on the Board of Directors for the Orange County Bar Association, Teen Court and Teen Alternatives, Inc. and previously served as a board member for the YMCA of Central Florida, Rotary Club of Avalon Park and the Orange County Legal Aid Society. Bill is actively involved in a number of legal organizations including The Florida Justice Association and Central Florida Trial Attorney Association. Aside from his legal contributions, Bill has served the youth of the community coaching and serving as a volunteer for youth soccer, basketball and football teams in the Orlando area.
Bill is married to his wife Zahra Umansky, who is also an accomplished criminal trial lawyer, and he is the proud father of two great boys. He lives life with the motto of "Carpe Diem" and truly believes that every day needs to be lived to its fullest with passion and intensity-- because every day could be the last day one has on earth.
• The Briefs, a publication of the Orange County Bar Association, OCBA Journal
• Juvenile Criminal Defense Strategies, Co-Author, 2011
• Power Principles For Success, Co-Author, 2010
• "Second Chances" Stories of Hope, Redemption and Forgiveness, Author
• Presenter, Foundation Marketing, Orange County Bar Association, Solo Practitioner/Small Firm Section, 2013
• Presenter, Law and Civics, Colonial High School for the OCBA Foundation, 2012
• Presenter, Legal Aid: What it's all About, Rotary Club of Avalon Park, 2009
• Presenter, David and Jaidens Story, Legal Aid Breakfast, 2009
• Presenter, Legal Aid, Downtown Rotary Club, 2009
• Presenter, Legal Aid: What it's all About, Legal Aid Breakfast of Champions, 2008
• Presenter, Safe Neighborhood, Avalon Park Safe Neighborhood Meet & Greet, 2004
• Kevin Sutton Radio Show, Boating Under The Influence Of Alcohol and Skateboarding Violations, 2013
• Adjunct Professor, Florida Metropolitan University
• Technology Committee Panel, Orange County Bar Association, 2017
• Presenter, Money and Collections, Orange County Bar Association, 2017
• Presenter, The Interview Process, Orange County Bar Association, 2017
Honors and Awards
• President-Elect 2018-2019 - Rotary Club
• Rotarian of the Year 2018 - Rotary Club
• Clients Choice Award 2018 - Avvo
• Orange County Legal Aid Society, Breakfast of Champions, Award for Outstanding Service, 2009 - 2010
• Orange County Legal Aid Society: Recognition for Service as Trustee of the Board, 2009
• Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition by Congressman Grayson for service to Legal Aid, 2009
• Bronze award to Legal Aid, 2009
• Florida Trend Magazine, "Florida Legal Elite", 2010
• AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell
• National Academy of Best Selling Authors-Certificate of Recognition -of Best-Selling Book, 2010
• Orlando Home & Leisure Magazine Top Lawyers-Traffic Violations, 2012
• Orlando Life Magazine Top Lawyer for Traffic Violations for Orange, Seminole, & Osceola Counties. This is based on LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell Top-Rated Lawyers list and is compiled from peer review ratings to identify those who have been rated by their peers to be AV Preeminent, 2013
• Outstanding Service OCBA Executive Council , 2007 - 2013
Meritorious for Public Service Chair for Grievance Committee 09C, 2012 - 2013
• Lapel Pin in recognition of exceptional pro bono service Supreme Court of Florida, 2013
• Orlando Life Magazine, "Top Attorneys in Florida", 2014
• Super Lawyers Magazine, "Super Lawyer", 2014
• Super Lawyers Magazine, "Super Lawyer", 2015
• Super Lawyers Magazine, "Super Lawyer", 2016
• Attorney at Law Magazine "Attorney of the Month", 2014
• Florida Trend Magazine, "Florida Legal Elite", 2014 - 2016
• Florida Trend Magazine, "Florida Legal Elite", 2012
Past Employment Positions
• Assistant State Attorney, 1993 - 1995
• City Prosecutor, 1995 - 1996
• Elizabeth Faiella, P.A. (Personal Injury & Medical Malpractice), Associate
• Best & Anderson (Personal Injury), Associate
• Police Academy Instructor
• Police Legal Advisor
Pro Bono Activities
• Orange County Teen Court Judge, Board of Directors, 2003 - Present
• Secretary of Teen Alternatives, Inc., 2003 - 2005
• Board of Directors, Central Florida YMCA, 2003 - 2005
• Rotary Club of Avalon Park, 2006 - Present
• Orange County Legal Aid Society, Board of Trustees, 2006 - 2009
• Speaking Engagements, Avalon Park Safe Neighborhood Meet & GreetRead less
Motorcycle Accident Statistics for FloridaCurrently, motorcycle accident statistics for Florida are attracting controversy over how –or if—they relate to the 2001 repeal of helmet law. In Florida, adult motorcyclists may ride without helmets.There is no question that motorcycle accidents, injuries, and fatalities have trended upward since 2001. But so have motorcycle […]
Driver fatigue is one of the leading causes of truck and automobile accidents. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that drivers who are fatigued cause 71,000 injuries and 1,500 deaths each year, in approximately 100,000 crashes. How prevalent is the problem? The National Sleep Foundation conducted a survey in 2004 of nearly 1,500 […]
If you are injured in a truck accident, you may face life-altering consequences, from the physical injuries you suffer to all of the economic consequences of those injuries – medical costs, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and lost future income, for example. You may be entitled to compensation for those physical injuries and their financial […]
Florida law does not require adequate insurance for motorcyclists. Adult bikers may ride without helmets provided they carry $10,000 in insurance to cover their own medical costs. Consider this information; five years ago, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that the average hospital cost to treat a head injury in Florida was $45,602. Although […]
1992, U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
Class of 1992
Honors: Book Awards Highest Grade - Negotiation & Dispute Settlements; Honors: Certificate of Recognition - Outstanding Contribution to UF College of LAW; Honors: John Marshall Bar Association Senator; Honors: University of Florida Trial Team, member
University of South Florida
Class of 1988
Psychology, cum laude
Born in 1966
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 24, 1966
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.
For your records, a copy of this email has been sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.