Areas of Law
- Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
Admitted in 1979, New York
Class of 1979
New York University
Class of 1980
Class of 1975
· Advised a multinational client on the implementation of a $100 million pension plan class action settlement.
· Advised a client on the phase-out of a $3 billion guaranteed interest investment fund under their 401(k) plan.
· Advised a foreign government on amending its health and welfare plan for over 4,000 Foreign Service officers.
· Assisted a recently merged global manufacturer of industrial equipment with the integration of their post-merger pension plans (including 401(k), traditional pensions, cash balance and ESOPs) and advise regarding their continuing compliance.
· Counsel to one of the world's largest media and entertainment conglomerates in all aspects of their employee benefit and executive compensation programs, including pension, 401(k), global "virtual" stock options, deferred compensation and severance programs.
· Assisted one of the largest managers of institutional assets and providers of financial services worldwide in the analysis of a proposed $1 billion premium-value, bank-owned life insurance arrangement.
· Helped a major worldwide transportation and logistics company renegotiate deferred compensation programs to comply with the new tax rules under Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code.
· Assisted a German-based pharmaceutical and healthcare/cosmetics company with M&A transactions and a multinational joint venture involving 40 countries.
· Helped one of the world's largest financial services companies design the first insurance policy that guarantees the payment of deferred compensation in the event of an employer's bankruptcy to receive a favorable private letter ruling from the IRS.
· Advised numerous clients on the impact of and response to the new deferred compensation rules under Sections 409A and 457A of the Internal Revenue Code applicable to both U.S. and foreign arrangements, including supplemental retirement plans, voluntary deferred compensation arrangements, employment agreements, severance plans and stock options.
Memberships and Affiliations
· Fellow of the American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
· Board Member and Immediate Past President of the New York Chapter of WEB, Worldwide Employee Benefits Network, an educational and networking organization of employee benefits professionals
· Member of the International Benefits Committee of the National Foreign Trade Council, the oldest and largest trade association advocating an open, rules-based international trade and tax system
· "Super Lawyer" listed in the National Corporate Counsel Edition and NY Metro Edition