Should I get a lawyer in Florida or New York to handle this matter?

Asked on Feb 08th, 2019 on Wills and Probate - New York
More details to this question:
I was notified back in June of 2018 that I was entitled to a portion of my late aunt's life insurance policy, from an attorney in New York. I was sent a form to release me as administrator and since I live in Florida and it's difficult for me to travel back and forth, I signed the form and returned it back to the law firm. I have called the attorney handling the case several times since the "transfer of administrator" was done and I kept getting the run-around. Since October of 2018 I have not heard from them nor been able to reach them even after I left voice-messages and e-mails. Is there anything that can be done? Thank you for your time.
Report Abuse
no peer reviews
no client reviews
Answered on Feb 16th, 2019 at 1:41 PM
Your question is unclear.  If you are a beneficiary of the policy, then you deal directly with the insurance.  If there is no beneficiary, and the estate is the beneficiary, you need to file papers in Surrogate's Court.  The lawyer misled you. There is nothing preventing you from being the administrator from Florida, and you likely never would have had to go to NY.  You should not have signed the form.

Report Abuse
Answered on Feb 09th, 2019 at 5:06 AM
You do not need a lawyer to collect benefits from a life insurance policy:  you contact the life insurance company directly.   This sounds like a fraud.  Report it to the county district attorney in New York and, just in case there really is a lawyer involved, to the New York State Bar.

This is general information. It cannot substitute for a personal consultation with an attorney. It is not intended to be legal advice or imply an attorney-client relationship.

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters