Why does the federal government not recognize the power of attorney on my husbands finances?

Asked on Jul 31st, 2011 on Estate Planning - Florida
More details to this question:
My husband has power of attorney for finances for his uncle who lives in another state. All insurance companies, mutual fund managers, etc., will recognize this legal document except for the federal government. Can anything be done about this? They are telling him his uncle has to be declared incompetent for them to work with my husband.

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters