Do I have rights to my husband's house?

Asked on Aug 13th, 2011 on Estate Planning - Georgia
My husband just passed away, I live in the house he owns with his ex-wife who is now dead. House Not in my name. My husband and I have 5 kids by his ex wife (who is dead) what are my rights?
Answered on Aug 18th, 2011 at 11:48 AM
You should get a lawyer and open probate. You have a right to a portion of your husband's estate.

Answered on Aug 18th, 2011 at 10:46 AM
The answer depends in part upon who died first, your husband or the ex-wife? Another important factor is what does the divorce decree state? What is the property worth? What is the total value of your deceased husband's estate? Did he have a Will? Do you have a prenuptial agreement? Are any of the children minors at the date of his death? The question you ask is not a simple question. You should seek legal counsel and bring with you a copy of the divorce decree and information about the assets and the value of such assets in your husband's estate, without that it is difficult to determine your rights.

Answered on Aug 17th, 2011 at 5:08 PM
Much of that will depend on if any of the children are minors or what documents you may have signed.

• 4.4/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Aug 17th, 2011 at 4:22 PM
That depends on how the deed is worded. You likely have some claim and should see a lawyer asap.