Why would SSA take my income tax refund if I already have a signed agreement to pay back my overpayment over a three year period.

Asked on Jan 31st, 2012 on Social Security Disability - West Virginia
More details to this question:
Report Abuse
Answered on Apr 07th, 2012 at 1:11 PM
The reach of the government arm is a long one. Although you have an agreement with the Social Security Administration, it was the United States Treasury that would have issued a refund.  The computers wouldn't allow the refund to issue because of the debt owed. Verify with your local office of SSA that the refund was applied to your repayment plan, and that you are now closer to paying off that overpayment.    

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters