What is the first step to apply for social security disability?

Asked on Jan 22nd, 2013 on Social Security Disability - Kentucky
II have chronic kidney disease stage 4 close to stage 5 and already have had a fistula put in my arm for dialysis. I have renal artery stenosis, multiple kidney polyps, diabetes type 2, high blood pressure, high cholesterol issues, asthma. I have also been injured on the job ad have permanent limitations so I can only work 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. The limitations prevent me from doing my letter carrier duties-no lifting more than 10 lbs, no lifting above shoulder height, no carrying a letter bag, no repetitive motion back and forth. Can I file for social security disability?
Answered on Jan 26th, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Do not delay.  Apply.  You can apply in person, by phone, or online.  If you are denied, seek competent counsel by going to thislink and finding someone near you.  Hire counsel now if you feel uncomfortable proceeding alone or due to your health are not up to the task. I am sorry for the many health challenges you face, and strongly encourage you to pursue this claim.