to whom it may concern: I am currently unemployed and my unemployment has run out. I am considering applying for welfare. My question I have three

Asked on Sep 24th, 2011 on Social Security - New Jersey
children one works part time and the other two receive social security benefits . Can I apply for myself without using my daughters benefits as income. or is there any other financial assistance I can apply for myself.
Answered on Oct 07th, 2011 at 11:05 PM
Anyone can apply for Social Security Disability. There is a medical approach to the definition of disability, and I can't tell from your question if you have a medical condition that prevents your from working. As indicated on my website 1. What is the definition of disability used by Social Security? Under the Social Security Act, "disability" means "inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment which can be expected to result in death or has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months."   Other assistance?  Contact your County and State agencies to see what benefits you may be eligible to receive, such as: food stamps, rent assistance, utility assistance, etc.  Also, family, friends, churches (whether you are a member or not), charitable organizations. Because I am not from your area, I don't know specifics for you, but if you contact an experienced AV rated lawyer that handles Social Security Disability, my guess is that she or he will give you some additional guidance.