my mom is stealing my disability checks and trying to control my life help

Asked on Aug 12th, 2015 on Social Security Disability - New York
More details to this question:
time and time again I have asked for her to switch them over into my name she just wont technically isn't that stealing? She will not give me any money towards getting out on my own for example getting my permit, license, or any form of id. My mom even has a restraining order on my and my girlfriend and I even though we haven't done anything she called the cops trying to get my girlfriend arrested for no reason and that is the issue I'm dealing with at the moment please help as I am unsure of what to do or how to go about this whole matter
Report Abuse
Answered on Aug 14th, 2015 at 8:43 AM
Reporting fraud is a very serious thing, and not something I recommend without first attempting to do what you refer to - have the benefits paid to you.  In addition, you can request that you receive an accounting for where your money is going if it isn't going to you. This answer assumes you are an adult, of legal age in your state.  According to the SSA website: You have the right to receive your own Social Security check unless SSA believes you are not capable of managing or directing the management of your money. If you have a representative payee because of a physical or a mental disability, in order to become your own payee, you must show SSA that you are now mentally and physically able to handle your money yourself. You could provide: A doctor's statement that there has been a change in your condition and that the doctor believes you are able to care for yourself; or An official copy of a court order saying that the court believes that you can take care of yourself; or Other evidence that shows your ability to take care of yourself. Note:  If SSA believes your condition has improved to the point that you no longer need a payee, we may reevaluate your eligibility for disability payments.  

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters