My father has been awarded social security disability, how does it affect Medicaid.

Asked on Sep 20th, 2011 on Social Security Disability - Ohio
We applied for Medicaid for my father since we had to put him in a nursing home. We have been told that he will be approved sometime this week. We just found out that SS awarded him disability benefits as well since he has a terminal illness. What happens to the back pay, is that owed to Medicaid or does my mother get to keep it. Also, what about the benefits that he will recieve, will that change his monthly paitent liability for medicaid.
Answered on Sep 20th, 2011 at 3:38 PM
I am very sorry for you, your mother, your family, and your father concerning his terminal illness.  This is a very difficult time for you.  The good news is the approval on both the Disability and the Medicaid.  This will free you to spend your time with your dad, to be present to him, and not worried about the applications and appeals. You will be receiving multiple letters concerning each of these benefits answering your questions completely.  Often, benefits are paid by SSA and the letter explaining it doesn't arrive until several days, or even a week, after the money did.  Because of the serious nature of your father's condition, I would anticipate that all will go through quickly. I wish I could tell you that mom gets all the back pay and Medicaid gets none, and the Nursing Home liability will go to zero, but I just don't have enough facts.  Time will tell, and rules and regulations written long before your father's illness became disabling will determine the outcome. Because I practice in a different state, I think it best for you to contact a local attorney to address the specific facts of your father's particular situation if you still have questions, or need answers sooner.