I would like to know if i can get disablity for my mental problems only. they are on going. i have high anxity anddeppresion .

Asked on Aug 31st, 2011 on Social Security - Indiana
I am under treatment for both high anxity and deppresion. both prevent me from working. i ca''t stay focused on any thing and lots of times i forget things easy. i can,t stand to be in crowd have panic attacks. my deppsion makes me want to stay to my self.
Answered on Sep 01st, 2011 at 7:04 PM
The general answer to your question is yes you can get Social Security Disability due to mental health problems alone.  I see it very often in my practice.  One does not have to have a physical disability to receive benefits. Notice that the following which is from the Social Security Administrations website does not make a reference to whether it is a mental or physical "condition": "Social Security pays benefits to people who cannot work because they have a medical condition that is expected to last at least one year or result in death. Federal law requires this very strict definition of disability. While some programs give money to people with partial disability or short-term disability, Social Security does not." You can apply yourself online at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pgm/disability.htm however I encourage you to seek local counsel to address the specific facts of your particular situation.