I used to be right handed until I lost my right hand due to a saw accident. Am I eligible for social security disability benefits?

Asked on May 16th, 2012 on Social Security Disability - Maryland
N/A
Answered on May 21st, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Based on the facts as you describe them, no. Viewing disability strictly due to amputation, according to the Social Security Administration website: 1.05 Amputation (due to any cause) A. Both hands; or B. One or both lower extremities at or above the tarsal region, with stump complications resulting in medical inability to use a prosthetic device to ambulate effectively, as defined in 1.bib, which have lasted or are expected to last for at least 12 months; or C. One hand and one lower extremity at or above the tarsal region, with inability to ambulate effectively, as defined in 1.00B2b; or D. Hemipelvectomy or hip disarticulation. PLEASE NOTE that an in person consultation is always best when you have a legal problem. DO NOT RELY on information for a legal remedy without having contacted a lawyer. Facts and circumstances of every case have to be applied to the law that is relevant for the state or location in question. NEVER rest on a right or defense you may have. Legal rights are not like wine - they don't improve with age or time. Time limits can completely prohibit recovery. SEEK LEGAL ADVICE IMMEDIATELY. Be sure to visit my website for answers to other Social Security Disability questions.