I think I am recieving a VERY low payment ($791.00) from social securities I applied my self not certain I am getting the Maximum benefit allowed by

Asked on Aug 30th, 2011 on Social Security - Florida
law is there some way to check or can someone help me? If so at what cost?
Answered on Sep 02nd, 2011 at 12:51 PM
You're question is a good one, and your belief that your payment is too low may be true.  However, it is probably correct. Your monthly payment amount is calculated based upon the wages you earned and the taxes you paid into the Social Security System.  Multiple factors are considered when calculating your "monthly payment amount" such as the average monthly earnings, etc. If I were you, I would go to the Social Security Administration (SSA) Office nearest you which you can locate following this link.  Explain your concern and have them show you the computation.  If you still disagree, let them know that you want to appeal their calculation, and someone else will look at your case. However, don't get your hopes up.  As I said above, "it is probably correct."  By the way, there will be no cost at the office of SSA.