I receive survivor benefits for my son. The father was not on the birth certificate.

Asked on Dec 17th, 2011 on Social Security - Nevada
More details to this question:
I receive survivor benefits for my son. The father was not on the birth certificate. My sister and I got into a fight and she said she filled a fraud report with social security. What is going to happen now? My sons uncle signed a statement saying his brother claimed my son and he looks just like him. And to complicate things more he has a daughter with someone else. About 10 years older than my son and I was unable to find her but my sister did and told her that wasn''t her brother and now the daughter is upset and said she called social security. I want to know what will happen and if possible how do I protect my self from false acusations? Thank you.
Report Abuse
Answered on Jan 04th, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Getting along with people is not always easy, and sometimes with your family it is the most difficult.  I'm sorry for your trouble. First, are you sure that your sister did indeed call?  You may be worrying over a threat that she may not have followed through with. Next, you need to be aware that there is an investigation division, and they receive similar "get even" calls every day.  SSA doesn't pay benefits without sufficient proof - unless she has some evidence.   "If" SSA decides to investigate further, you will have an opportunity to respond.  You will be notified in writing. To be proactive, I would suggest contacting an attorney that works with Social Security.  The "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page next to the nice outline of a house is a good place to start. Good luck.

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters