I have been receiving SSI for the past 15 years. I did some time in boot camp. got out starting getting check again. Then did a year in detention

Asked on May 31st, 2013 on Social Security Disability - Georgia
center and got out, went and applied Social Security turned me down.
Answered on Jun 01st, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Depending on the state that you live in, the percentage of applicants that are turned down the first time is quite high, so if you are disabled it is good to appeal right away to keep your claim alive. Yours is a story I hear I often -- I was on SSDI (or SSI) but was terminated due to confinement.  When I applied again, I was turned down.  What gives?  SSA said before I was disabled, now I'm not?  Why? The problem may be your medical records.  Have you had continuous medical treatment to document your medical condition that disables you?  Does SSA have that medical information? Another problem may be your medical condition improved or you worked. However, the bottom line is when you had to file that new application, SSA doesn't automatically grant benefits just because you had them before.  This is a fresh, clean look at you and you have to measure up to all the requirements. You may want to consider consulting with a lawyer in your area that does this type of work.