I have a termal illnes can I file for SSDI

Asked on Jun 09th, 2013 on Social Security Disability - Arizona
while waiting for SSDI to kicsk in can I make withdraws from my 401k to takr care of my wife and our daily needs. I have melanoma cancer that has to the lymp nodes threw out my body J am jn suiver pain, I am take 6 to eight tablets of oxicecodone a day. I rake 400 mgs of chemo. 5mg a day. I also have cirrhosis and i am a type two dibetic. The pain is getting to hard to work with. Take as many pain meds as do is staring to inpair my judgment at times. I stand on my feer all day which puts alot of presser on my liver were the cancer is located the most. I have been in the same type of work for 26 years.
Answered on Jun 09th, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Yes, you can file for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) and if you have a terminal illness you should do so immediately.  You can apply (1) online, (2) in person or by (3) telephone in the comfort of your own home.  Based on your description, by telephone sounds the most comfortable for you.   Regardless of the method you choose to apply, be sure to review the SSA's Disability Planner that provides contact information for the three methods to apply described above and important information you will need. I am uncertain if your case is a "compassionate allowance."  Click here for the list of diagnoses for your doctor to review that are compassionate allowances. Your question regarding the 401(k) is beyond my area of expertise. For SSI (Supplemental Security Income) cases payments can be made more quickly than usual if "a physician confirms by telephone or in a signed statement that an individual has a terminal illness with a life expectancy of six months or less; or a physician or knowledgeable hospice official (for example, hospice coordinator, staff nurse, social worker or medical records custodian) confirms that an individual is receiving hospice services because of a terminal illness;a physician confirms by telephone or in a signed statement that an individual has a terminal illness with a life expectancy of six months or less; or a physician or knowledgeable hospice official (for example, hospice coordinator, staff nurse, social worker or medical records custodian) confirms that an individual is receiving hospice services because of a terminal illness"