i have a hearing loss and wonder what loss percentage can you applied for a disability. Thanks

Asked on Oct 12th, 2011 on Social Security Disability - South Carolina
More details to this question:
Report Abuse
Answered on Apr 07th, 2012 at 1:35 PM
The real question is: can you work? There are many jobs that can be done with significant or complete hearing loss.  To obtain Social Security Disability there often has to be another diagnosis or problem. To the specifics of your question, though, the Social Security Administration says this about the evidence needed for hearing loss: B.How do we evaluate hearing loss? 1.What evidence do we need? a. We need evidence showing that you have a medically determinable impairment that causes your hearing loss and audiometric measurements of the severity of your hearing loss. We generally require both a complete otologic examination and audiometric testing to establish that you have a medically determinable impairment that causes your hearing loss. You should have this audiometric testing within 2 months of the complete otologic examination. Once we have evidence that you have a medically determinable impairment, we can use the results of later audiometric testing to assess the severity of your hearing loss without another complete otologic examination. We will consider your test scores together with any other relevant information we have about your hearing, including information from outside of the test setting. b. The complete otologic examination must be performed by a licensed physician (medical or osteopathic doctor). It must include your medical history, your description of how your hearing loss affects you, and the physician's description of the appearance of the external ears (pinnae and external ear canals), evaluation of the tympanic membranes, and assessment of any middle ear abnormalities. c. Audiometric testing must be performed by, or under the direct supervision of, an otolaryngologist or by an audiologist qualified to perform such tests. We consider an audiologist to be qualified if he or she is currently and fully licensed or registered as a clinical audiologist by the State or U.S. territory in which he or she practices. If no licensure or registration is available, the audiologist must be currently certified by the American Board of Audiology or have a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC-A) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). Go to for more information about the "Listing" level severity needed for a hearing  disability. If you don't meet a listing, don't lose hope.  The listing is only the 3rd step of the 5 steps in the evaluation for disability.

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters