Hi, I''m on SSD, Medicare, and Medicaid.

Asked on Nov 16th, 2011 on Social Security Disability - New Jersey
I''m a finalist in a million dollar lottery drawing. I would like to know if I win the million dollars: 1) Will I lose SSD? 2) Can I transfer my winnings to someone else if I win so I don''t lose any benefits? I don''t want to lose SSD and my other benefits since I''m on alot of meds which cost alot of money monthly. I''d say over a few thousand monthly. Thanks for your answer.
Answered on Jun 16th, 2012 at 1:27 PM
I hope you win, Vince!  You're dilemma would be a good one to have! SSD and Medicare should not be impacted if you win.  There are state rules and regulations concerning Medicaid, and you should seek an attorney knowledgeable in your state concerning this area of law.  NOTE: contact them now before you win .... if not, it may be too late.  Go to http://www.lawyers.com/Social-Security-Disability/browse-by-location.html to find someone in your state. PLEASE NOTE that an in person consultation is always best when you have a legal problem. DO NOT RELY on information for a legal remedy without having contacted a lawyer. Facts and circumstances of every case have to be applied to the law that is relevant for the state or location in question. NEVER rest on a right or defense you may have. Legal rights are not like wine - they don't improve with age or time. Time limits can completely prohibit recovery. SEEK LEGAL ADVICE IMMEDIATELY. Be sure to visit my website for answers to other Social Security Disability questions. http://haller-law.com/faq

Answered on May 27th, 2012 at 7:36 PM
SSD or Social Security Disability, is not based on your income or assets.  Eligibility for SSD depend on the number of work units you have, and how long you paid taxes on your income.  Even if you are a millionaire you can qualify for SSD if you are legally disabled.  You will loose Medicaid, because eligibility for Medicaid is income and asset based, but you will still be eligible for Medicare.