Do I need to get a lawyer to do my disability appeal

Asked on Jun 10th, 2013 on Social Security Disability - South Carolina
I have been on disability for 12 years, now they are saying that I am no longer disabled. That my medicine is helping me,which that is not the case. It helps me get thru everyday living,and some days it doesn't do that. Also I can't not even afford my medicine without medicare and medicaid. I have been out of the work environment for so long, I don't know how to do any of the new stuff and also who will hire me after being out of work so long. I don't know what to do and I need help.
Answered on Jun 10th, 2013 at 5:05 PM
The answer to your question "Do I need to get a lawyer to do my disability appeal" is no.  There is no requirement that you get a lawyer.  In fact, individuals that are not lawyers (representatives) also do this type of work. Now, if your question really is, based on your circumstances, should you hire a lawyer?  I can't say, but maybe.  It would be well worth your time and effort to meet with a lawyer to review options and to see if the lawyer will represent you.  Many times the first consultation is free but make sure when the appointment is scheduled that's the policy. Finally, if there was an attorney or representative that helped you initially, you may want to start there to inquire about getting help. Good luck.