Do I need to contact the Social Security Disability Office to set up an appointment for my children if their father is approved for benefits?

Asked on Jul 27th, 2012 on Social Security Disability - South Carolina
My ex husband has applied for disability benefits in the last year or so and stated to me the children will receive a check within a few weeks. He wants me to dismiss his child support in the next few days; however, I have not received anything from the social security office regarding their eligibility for benefits since their father was just approved. I know he has been dealing with getting approved in the last year or so.
Answered on Jul 30th, 2012 at 3:06 PM
No.  SSA either will contact you or has the necessary information from your ex-husband. As to child support, that's for an expert in that area, and I sincerely recommend that you seek legal counsel before making such a drastic move.