Do I have to go to court for appeal a ss diability claim denial. Or will my attorney go to court for me.

Asked on May 06th, 2013 on Social Security Disability - Oklahoma
Will I have to go to court on social security disability denial, or will my attorney go for me.
Sean Michael Quinn
  • 4.2/5.0
  • 100%
  • 1
Answered on May 17th, 2013 at 12:27 PM
you will have to appear at your hearing.  your lawyer will be there too of course.  but you will be testifying about your conditions and more importantly how those affect your abilities to do things (at home or otherwise).

Answered on May 06th, 2013 at 5:48 PM
I will assume that you have not yet hired an attorney and your case has not reached the hearing stage yet.  From the tone of your question, you would rather not go to court.  Who could blame you? A hearing before an Administrative Law Judge will require your presence with your attorney.  You may want to watch the video at http://youtu.be/LwFe3qk-KrQ  Although I can't take credit for the video, it is very well done and will take some of the mystery out of it. When you hire an attorney make sure that they agree to prepare you before the hearing to know what to expect.  Also review http://research.lawyers.com/How-to-Hire-the-Right-Lawyer.html to make sure you know "How to Hire the Right Lawyer."  

5.0/5.0
Answered on May 06th, 2013 at 3:44 PM
If you are already represented you should best address this question to your current attorney. If you are not represented your appeal course depends on the stage of denial of your SSA claim.   You may either face appeal to the SSA or to a federal court.