denied by ssi

Asked on Jun 05th, 2013 on Social Security Disability - California
the VA has made me a 100%. i suffer from ptsd i am a diabetic i have been having seizures
Answered on Jun 08th, 2013 at 1:22 PM
SSI is a resource driven benefit.  By that I mean your assets are reviewed first before your disability.  Depending upon the amount of your VA Benefit, you likely are ineligible for monthly SSI benefits because of the money you receive from VA. Did you also apply for Social Security Disability Benefits?  Often, individuals receive a denial from SSI (Supplemental Security Income) and wrongly assume that SSA has ruled that they are not disabled.  If you have worked 5 of the last 10 years you are generally eligible for Social Security Disability.  Check with your local SSA office to determine if your disability claim is "pending." Regardless of what the VA determination may say, SSA must make their decision based on SSA law, regulations and rules.  Your VA determination will be helpful, but does not make your case "automatic." Finally, the status of your VA benefits is important.  If the benefits are "service-connected" there is no offset (subtraction) from your Social Security Disability benefits.