Can my child's mother collect Social Security Disability Benefits on behalf of the child while collecting child support from me?

Asked on Jun 03rd, 2013 on Social Security Disability - Florida
More details to this question:
I am collecting Disability Benefits and also work part time. I have recently discovered that my child's mother is collecting SS Benefits on behalf of our child (since atleast 2009) due to my disability while also collecting child support that is garnished from my wages and has not informed either the Manatee Child support office or Social Security. Can she legally collect both? If not, what can I do to recover what she may have wrongly taken from me?
Report Abuse
Answered on Jun 08th, 2013 at 1:07 PM
The answer depends on your state law.  In my state, an Order must be entered modifying the child support Order.  The problem: here the Order will not be retroactive. I encourage you to contact a family lawyer or social security disability lawyer in your state as your monthly child support obligation may change.

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters