can I get short term or long term disability for Hep C ?

Asked on Mar 28th, 2012 on Social Security Disability - Indiana
I have Hep C geno type 1 cronic liver scarring I''m taking Meds for it I can only walk about a half a block before my leg goes numb and i have to rest,my Doctor says it is from the Hep C he says that I should see about Disability,I work at a place where it get''s very hot in the summer temps reachas much as 110 degress he said I would have trouble working in them condisions and working as a machine operator,my work doesn''t pay any kind of disability or comp. I tried to see if they would lay me off for a while but they said it would cost them to much so the only other option is early retriement at age 60 in April I''ve been missing work some days I feel good but most days I feel bad about two days of work a week,I got the Hep C from a blood transfusion in 1975 at a Hospital,I hope you can Help me.
Answered on Apr 07th, 2012 at 12:44 PM
If you're doctor is encouraging you to seek disability, apply.  If you are eligible for "retirement" at 60, I can only assume that is from your company or Union as the minimum age for SSA is 62.  If my assumption is correct, and you are successful with a disability application to SSA, your "retirement" could be a disability retirement from the company or Union and hopefully there would be no discount for having to take it early. It is a good idea to have an experienced attorney to help you with your application, although it is not required.  If you click http://www.lawyers.com/Social-Security/Indiana/browse-law-firms-by-city.html it will take you to a page of Indiana Social Security law firms.  Review this excellent article about choosing a lawyer http://research.lawyers.com/Selecting-A-Lawyer.html. Remember, you can apply on your own in person, by phone, or online.  If you are denied, seek a competent lawyer.