Can I declare money from a personal injury case and keep my SSDI money?

Asked on Jun 17th, 2012 on Social Security Disability - Minnesota
More details to this question:
Report Abuse
Answered on Jun 21st, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Yes.  If you only receive SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) benefits (not SSI or Medicaid or other asset-based benefits), if you receive a settlement from a personal injury case there will be no change to your monthly benefits. HOWEVER, if you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) there are definite reporting requirements and there may be consequences.  For a complete list of what you must report if you receive SSI, click here. PLEASE NOTE that an in person consultation is always best when you have a legal problem. DO NOT RELY on information for a legal remedy without having contacted a lawyer. Facts and circumstances of every case have to be applied to the law that is relevant for the state or location in question. NEVER rest on a right or defense you may have. Legal rights are not like wine - they don't improve with age or time. Time limits can completely prohibit recovery. SEEK LEGAL ADVICE IMMEDIATELY.   Go to to find someone in your state. Be sure to visit my website for answers to other Social Security Disability questions.

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters