Being rated 50% disabled through the VA should I bother appealing my claim that was denied 2 years ago for Social Security Disability?

Asked on Apr 10th, 2012 on Social Security Disability - California
More details to this question:
I was honorably discharged from the US Navy in 2005 with a diagnosis of Schizophrenia (paranoid type) I have since been rated as permanently disabled at 50% disabling and receive a monthly check from the VA. I filed for SSDI by myself 2 years ago and was denied due to the fact that the SS administration did not receive any documentation from me or the VA. I have a bad feeling that my case was mishandled due to the fact that I was never contacted for any records or documents that pertained to my treatment and diagnosis. I still have all my treatment records and medical documentation from 2002 to the present day. I am currently seeking answers regarding SSDI and whether or not I need representation.
Report Abuse
Answered on Apr 15th, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Do not delay. Apply. Submit copies of what records you have and give a complete list to SSA and they will obtain them for you. The clock may be ticking against you regarding that claim you filed 2 years ago. You can apply in person, by phone, or online. If you are denied, seek competent counsel. Hire counsel now if you feel uncomfortable proceeding alone or due to your health you are just not up to the task. Go to for a list of Social Security Disability Law Firms in California. If the cities listed are not near you, be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page to see if other cities are closer. There are several excellent articles on about choosing a lawyer. Be sure to read the article "Select a Lawyer" which can be found by clicking or going to I also encourage you to read the articles found at in the box titled: "Things to know BEFORE you ..." I am sorry for the health challenges you face, and strongly encourage you to pursue this claim. PLEASE NOTE that an in person consultation is always best when you have a legal problem. DO NOT RELY on information for a legal remedy without having contacted a lawyer. Facts and circumstances of every case have to be applied to the law that is relevant for the state or location in question. NEVER rest on a right or defense you may have. Legal rights are not like wine - they don't improve with age or time. Time limits can completely prohibit recovery. SEEK LEGAL ADVICE IMMEDIATELY. Be sure to visit my website for answers to other Social Security Disability questions.  

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters