about getting disability

Asked on May 15th, 2013 on Social Security Disability - Alabama
I've been out of work since first of year.first with brokken finger in cast. then for carrpal tunnel and surgery for carpal tunnel. is there any way of getting full disability for long term/life forcarpal tunnel. I have a friend who said heer friend has and and is getting it for life. My job cosists of standing on feet 8 hrs aday
Answered on May 25th, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Are you sure a "friend of a friend" is truly getting disability for carpal tunnel?  Perhaps this person is, but, that will not make you eligible because you have the same diagnosis. Under the Social Security Act, “disability” means “inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment which can be expected to result in death or has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.” When the Social Security Administration reviews a case, there are a series of steps that they go through before making their determination.  They may agree with you that you can't go back to your old job, but if you can do other less strenuous work, you will be found "not disabled." Go to http://haller-law.com/faq for answers to more questions about Social Security Disability.