22 yr. old liver transplant recipient, medications the rest of their life, wants to work FT. Can they keep their Medicare benefits, losing SSI income?

Asked on Jan 23rd, 2012 on Social Security Disability - Florida
N/A
Answered on Apr 15th, 2012 at 10:37 AM
The details of your question are too limited for me to provide an answer that you can rely. Assuming this individual is cleared by the physician to work full time (8 hours/day, days/week), and if this person is currently receiving SSI benefits, it would appear that working would then cease the SSI monthly benefits and any medical benefits. If the benefits have been paid for less than 12 months, the person may have to pay back any cash benefits received. As you can see, this is a very delicate and fact-driven question. Returning to work requires a report to the Social Security Administration (SSA). Extremely careful record-keeping (pay stubs, Impairment-Related Work Expenses) is required for anyone receiving benefits from SSA and going back to work. PLEASE NOTE that an in person consultation is always best when you have a legal problem. DO NOT RELY on information for a legal remedy without having contacted a lawyer. Facts and circumstances of every case have to be applied to the law that is relevant for the state or location in question. NEVER rest on a right or defense you may have. Legal rights are not like wine - they don't improve with age or time. Time limits can completely prohibit recovery. SEEK LEGAL ADVICE IMMEDIATELY. Be sure to visit my website for answers to other Social Security Disability questions.