What is the statute of limitation for an injury case?

Asked on Aug 17th, 2012 on Personal Injury - Montana
I fell from a bridge I was working on and got a broken back and ribs two years ago. The pain is back and is worse than ever. Can I reopen the claim or sue for medical expenses?
Answered on May 28th, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Yes.

Answered on Aug 27th, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Who are you suing? I can't recall if a workers compensation case is 1 or 2 years. A civil suit is 3 years in Michigan.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:05 PM
In your question, you say reopen. If you already have a claim, that impacts the statute of limitations. You should consult with a work comp attorney. Most attorneys will provide a free initial consultation with no obligation.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:03 PM
3 years for negligence in WA. Two years from medical malpractice or one year from date of discovery of medical malpractice in WA. L&I claims, I don't know.

• 5.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:03 PM
It depends on a lot of factors. Get to a lawyer right away. You may have a great case.

5.0/5.0
Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:03 PM
Three years.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Answer: That answer isn't as simple as saying a set number of years because there are exceptions. See a lawyer.

5.0/5.0
Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:02 PM
This sounds like a Workers Compensation case. It should be no problem re-opening your case unless you settled (redeedmed the claim).

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:01 PM
In California it is 2 years from the date of the injury unless it is against a health care provider (doctor, nurse, hospital, therapist, etc) and then it is one year from the date you discover the malpractice and no more than three years from the date of the injury even if you don't discovery it. You would need to consult with an attorney for the application of the statute.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:01 PM
I depends. Was the claim settled or not? If settled is there a period of "open medical" and are you in that period still. Contact the Workers' Comp attorney that handled your claim.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:00 PM
General rule of thumb is two years, so you should seek counsel immediately.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Workers compensation statute is two years from the date of last payment.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:00 PM
In Illinois the stature of limitations for personal injury is 2 years.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:59 PM
If you received worker's comp benefits for your injury, you should be able to reopen claim. If you are thinking about a lawsuit, in Indiana the statute of limitations is two years from the date of the injury. You should consult a lawyer NOW.

• 4.3/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:59 PM
The Statute of Limitations depends on who you would be suing. Generally, for workers' compensation cases the Statute of Limitations is 2 years from either the date of your injury or the date of the last payment (only certain payments count) by the employer or the employer's workers' compensation insurer for a work-related injury. If your case is against someone other than your employer, the Statute of Limitations may either be 2, 3 or 4 years depending on it is at fault. If the government, a governmental agency, a political subdivisions (such as a city) or any of their employees, you must file a Tort Claim before you can file suit. The details about suing one of these is complicated and difficult to explain in this format. If the case is against a private citizen or company, the Statute of Limitations is generally four years from the date of your injury. You also ask, "Can I reopen the claim or sue for medical expenses?" This depends on both the Statute of Limitations and whether you entered into a full and final settlement. If the Statute of Limitations has not expired and you did not sign a release or enter into a full and final settlement, you could still pursue a claim for medical expenses. I would suggest talking to an attorney about the Statute of Limitations and re-opening your case. Most offer a free consultation so it will not cost you anything to learn more about these items.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Depends upon the kind of injury.

• 5.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
5.0/5.0
Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Two years.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:58 PM
This sounds like a workers' compensation case that you settled since you ask about reopening. If you settled the case on what was called a joint petition you probably cannot reopen. However, if you went to trial and an award was made then you might be able to reopen. This consideration is important when considering whether to try a Workers' Compensation case or to settle. To often claimants only see "fast" money and settle when they should have went to trial.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Two years. Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code 16.003.

df
davida francis
  • 0/5.0
  • 100%
100%
2 client reviews
Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:57 PM
That statute of limitations in Nevada is two years from the date of the accident.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:57 PM
The statute of limitations for workers compensation claims is one year, it is 2 years for third party personal injury claims. You should inquire with a qualified lawyer to determine whether the statute has tolled in any manner.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Two years.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:56 PM
If you are talking about a worker's compensation claim, then it depends whether you can "reopen" your case or not. If your case was resolved with a lump sum settlement, you cannot reopen your case. However, if the case was resolved with "medical open," then your medical bills should continue to be covered into the future (as long as the treatment is medical necessary and related to the incident). If you fell because of someone else's negligence or wrongdoing (besides a co-worker who you cannot sue), you would have 3 years from the date of accident to file a claim for pain and suffering. If there is no other entity responsible, then worker's compensation is your only avenue.

• 4.4/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:56 PM
You have 1 year from the date of the accident/incident to file suit. If you already settled your Case then, in all likelihood, you would not be able to reopen it.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:55 PM
Unless you had a full final and complete settlement of your case two years ago, you can petition for additional workers compensation benefits in Michigan for the rest of your life. There is no "statute of limitations" for workers compensation benefits in Michigan. Instead there is a "claim" limitation of two years. The claim limitation is very loosely interpreted and is extended by the receipt of any other form of benefits. If following your injury you received some workers compensation benefits, then the claim provision has been satisfied and you are able to petition for additional benefits at any time in the future.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:55 PM
The statute of limitations for negligence (or violation of the NY scaffolding law) is three years. Of course, this would have to be against someone other than your employer. But, if the claim is against the State of New York, then the statute of limitations is two years, provided you have served a Notice of Intention. If you are talking about re-opening a comp claim, that depends on whether there was a final settlement.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:55 PM
Did you settle your workers comp case?

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:54 PM
You say, reopen. If you settled the claim, it is over. If you haven't made one, contact me to discuss.

Answered on Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:54 PM
What state? Each state has different laws. Workers Comp is usually all you can collect unless you can blame another subcontractor or the general contractor for safety violations that caused your injuries.