Should someone who caused an accident get a personal injury lawyer?

Asked on May 15th, 2011 on Automobile Accidents - Coahuila
I was in a car accident on a military base. It was my fault. If I need to go to court, what can I expect to happen? Should I hire a lawyer? Will this go on my record?
HF
Herbert Farber
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on May 20th, 2011 at 9:34 AM
If you are a fully insured driver, there is no need to hire a lawyer to represent you unless your automobile accident was as a result of a criminal action on your part for example driving under the influence of alcohol. You say the accident your fault so most likely you will be cited and this citation will appear on your driving record and your insurance will take note of it. If your driving record is otherwise clean, you should not be penalized too greatly.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 12:11 PM
If you have your own car insurance, your ins. co. will or should take care of everything.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Notify your auto insurance company and they will handle everything.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 10:22 AM
If your were insured your insurance company will provide defense counsel on any civil lawsuit against you for money damages. If you were charged with a crime you should hire an attorney. If you were cited for a traffic violation you should seek advise about how to proceed so as not to impair your defense in a civil suit. Generally paying the fine without contesting the citation will protect your case in the civil court so long as you do not make any statement that could be used against you. As for your record it depends on what goes on your record.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 10:17 AM
Assuming you have auto insurance, you should immediately contact your insurance company. They will deal with the matter on your behalf; and if needed, will retain an attorney for you.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 10:13 AM
You should report the accident to your insurance company. The insurance company will handle the claim and provide a lawyer to represent you. The accident may result in points on your insurance record. Whether it results in points on your license will depend on whether you received a ticket and how the ticket is handled.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 10:10 AM
Notify your insurance company immediately. If you are uninsured you need to hire a lawyer immediately.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 10:10 AM
No, if you were charged with some type of criminal/traffic offense you may want to first discuss things with a criminal defense attorney; however, if the accident was your fault, you do not need an injury lawyer.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 9:53 AM
You should report the accident to your insurance company. They will hire a lawyer for you if you need one. If you were not given a traffic ticket, it will not be on your record. If you were given a ticket, it will.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 9:40 AM
Normally, your insurance company will handle any claims and it will hire a lawyer to defend you,if you are sued. Your insurance rates may go up. But discuss these issues with them.

PW
Paul L. Whitfield
  • 4.4/5.0
  • 100%
  • 1
4.4/5.0
100%
1 client review
Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 9:30 AM
If you are sued the insurance carrier (yours) will pay for your attorney and will defend you at no cost to you. If you are served with any papers get them to your agent immediately. If you have no insurance, yes, hire an attorney before you go to court.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 9:28 AM
If you have insurance, report the accident to the insurance company. The insurance company will provide you with an attorney and a defense if it is necessary.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 9:24 AM
If you caused the accident, first of course you should report it to the police, and then promptly call your insurance agent and inform your insurance agent of the accident. Most insurance policies have a requirement for prompt notification. If you carried insurance on your car, your insurance company should handle most of it for you.