Is this a reasonable settlement amount?

Asked on Oct 18th, 2013 on Personal Injury - Florida
More details to this question:
I was in an accident on 10/5/2013. I have neck and back pains along with my wife who was the passenger in my vehicle. It was the other person at fault so I am going through her insurance. I have not been able to go to work since the accident but I am currently unemployed but missed two jobs I know I could have been hired at. I can prove that I would have had the job and it is in the oil field and would have made around $2500 by now. My hospital bills were $2700 and the insurance is paying for it. The adjuster offered me $1000 for pain and suffering. My car was also at a total loss. Is this number low or reasonable?
Report Abuse
Answered on Oct 21st, 2013 at 5:57 PM
It sounds low. If you are still receiving medical treatment, you should wait until you are released from the doctor before you settle. If you have been released and are pain free, it might be reasonable if they add lost wages to it.

Report Abuse
Answered on Oct 21st, 2013 at 5:56 PM
The number is unreasonable. You should wait to find out how well, or poorly, you recover from your injuries before trying to settle you case. You will probably do better if you hire a lawyer to represent you. Otherwise, the insurance company will try to take advantage of you.

Report Abuse
Answered on Oct 21st, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Unfortunately, it is impossible to evaluate your claim based on the information you provided. If you are still injured, it is too early to settle.

Report Abuse
Answered on Oct 21st, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Property damage and personal injury are separate claims. The rule with property damage is that you are entitled to the cost of repairs or the value of the vehicle, whichever is lesser. Personal injury values vary widely from case to case and place to place. Experienced personal injury lawyers are familiar with those values. Consider consulting one.

Report Abuse
Answered on Oct 21st, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Despite the indication that this is a Michigan question, it likely is not in that in Michigan you would collect your wage loss and medical bills from your own insurer. Further the injuries you suffered would have to meet the threshold of being a serious impairment of a body function in order for you to receive any compensation for pain and suffering from the other vehicle's insurer. In any event, a personal consultation with a local lawyer that regularly handles your type of matter would allow the best input after a discussion of all relevant fact as to liability and damages.

Report Abuse
Paul L. Whitfield
Partner at
  • 4.4/5.0
  • 100%
  • 1
1 client review
BV Distinguished
Answered on Oct 21st, 2013 at 10:33 AM
You are trying real hard to make something big out of something small. The adjuster will usually offer you something like 1000 over your b ills. That is his way of saying you have a small claim. You will not likely change his opinion. If you lost jobs (and I am inclined to doubt it) you must prove that with medical testimony. Doctor must say you are unable to work and you must then prove the job offer would have been made otherwise and was denied on the basis of medical opinion I doubt if you can pull all this off. why don't you get a lawyer who knows such cases. by the way you could not have a serious injury and be talking about settling 16 days later. serious injuries take a while to heal.

Report Abuse
Answered on Oct 21st, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Your submission indicates that you still have symptoms, so why would you settle after two weeks. Hire an attorney who is local to you.

Report Abuse
Answered on Oct 21st, 2013 at 10:05 AM
With those limited facts I think it is low of course I rarely find initial offers from insurance adjusters anything other than low ball offers.

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters