Do I have the option for paying off my auto accident settlement out of pocket?

Asked on May 27th, 2011 on Automobile Accidents - Georgia
I was in a car accident back in 2005 and my case has just got settled. I received the settlement statement from my lawyer’s office it showed that I had a hospital bill in the amount of 1738.45, which was reduced to 1390.00. What I would like to ask you is do I have the option of paying out of pocket after receiving the proceeds from the settlement to the hospital myself instead of my lawyer’s office taking the money out their self and paying the bill? I have not yet signed the documents for the settlement because in the settlement statement it states as follows: Less Medical Bill/Liens (payment required/authorized by client) such in such hospital (reduced 1,738.45) chiropractic (reduced from 2,790.00) and then it states this client's agreement regarding settlement, disbursement of settlement proceeds and payment of medical care providers or benefit providers: The undersigned acknowledges that he/she has read, understood, and agreed to the above settlement statement . The undersigned further agrees that no medical care providers or benefit providers, unless listed above, have been or will be paid out of this settlement, and that any such bills or right of reimbursement remain the sole responsibility of the client and that the client will hold attorneys harmless from any such amounts due. My next question is: is this stating that they have paid the hospital bill above already because nowhere in my contract did it say that they are required to pay the medical bill for the hospital for me nor have I authorized them to do so. If so what options do I have open from here? Keep in mind I still haven't signed and returned the settlement agreement. I have tried to get in contact with my attorneys office by phone and email for the last two weeks so I’m unable to ask these questions to them so I decided to see you guys can help.
Answered on Jul 12th, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Did you communicate to your attorney in any way that you agreed on settling the case for a particular amount?