Am I liable for the dog bite?

Asked on Apr 29th, 2011 on Personal Injury - Oregon
I got a free dog of craigslist and had it for about 18 hrs. The dog was not a good fit in our home because it was to hyper. So I gave it to someone else on craigslist and they had it for about 2 hours and called and said it bit the lady’s boyfriend. It never tried to bite anyone in my family. Am I liable for that mans injuries?
PW
Paul L. Whitfield
  • 4.4/5.0
  • 100%
  • 1
4.4/5.0
100%
1 client review
Answered on Jun 11th, 2013 at 12:03 AM
No.

Answered on May 03rd, 2011 at 10:01 AM
I don't think so. I think the new owner is liable.

Answered on May 03rd, 2011 at 9:48 AM
It appears that you are not liable but that does not stop someone from suing you. Therefore, if you are sued then you must defend the suit or refer to your insurance company to defend.

Answered on May 02nd, 2011 at 9:11 AM
Maybe if you are still the owner.

Answered on May 01st, 2011 at 4:26 PM
Under Utah law, anyone who owns or keeps a dog is liable for injuries caused by the dog. http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE18/htm/18_01_000100.htm There may be some liability for you depending on what everyone's intent was when you gave the dog to the other person. If you have homeowners insurance or renters insurance you should contact them and report the possible claim (there might be coverage there); if you don't, you'll just have to hope they don't sue you.

5.0/5.0
Answered on May 01st, 2011 at 4:09 PM
No, you're not likely liable for such an injury because you had no notice of the dangerous nature of the dog. Hire an attorney to represent you if you are sued. Good luck.

Answered on May 01st, 2011 at 3:55 PM
I do not believe you are liable. California Civil Code 3342.5 provides in pertinent part: (a) The owner of any dog that has bitten a human being shall have the duty to take such reasonable steps as are necessary to remove any danger presented to other persons from bites by the animal. You were not the owner at the time of the bite and therefore had no duty to take any precautions. The person who owned the dog would be strictly liable for the bite whether they knew about the dogs propensities or not. But in your case, you were not an owner and I cannot think of any reason to hold you liable.

Answered on Apr 30th, 2011 at 5:27 PM
Probably not unless you had prior knowledge that the dog had a tendency to bite. For example, if the person from whom you got the dog said the dog was a biter or it bit someone in your household and you did not pass that information on to the buyer, you possibly could be held liable. However, given you only had the dog for 18 hours and then gave it to someone else it is not likely you would be responsible.