Do I have a legal case to make my ex-fiance solely responsible for the credit card debt?

Asked on Feb 11th, 2019 on Civil Litigation - Florida
My ex-fiance opened a small business about 1 1/2 years ago. I thought I was an authorized user on the credit card for the business, but it turns out I am on the card as an owner. We have gone our separate ways, and he no longer has the small business. However, approx. two months ago, I learned he took $10,000 against the credit card and cannot pay it back. The bank is now hounding me for the money. I have never even seen a penny of the $10,000 and would not have known anything about it until the bank informed me they need a payment to be made.
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Feb 11th, 2019 at 9:38 AM
Did you sign a document making you responsible for the credit card or did your ex forge your name on such document?  If you signed, you are liable to the bank but may have a claim against your ex to indemnify you for any monies you paid (assuming that he has any money with which to pay you).  If you never agreed to be responsible for the card and can prove your name was forged, you probably (depending on when you found out about the forged isgnature and whether you took timely steps to deal with the forgery and cancel the card), you would not be liable for the debt.  Of course, the bank is not going to just agree with this, you will have to prove your case in ocurt.