How do I legally protect my idea before I put it on a website?

Asked on Aug 10th, 2012 on Patents - Utah
I have a very lucrative idea and want to create a website but want to protect my idea. Is there a way of doing this and where should I start?
  • 4.4/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Aug 16th, 2012 at 9:54 AM
One way to obtain protection is to file a patent application before putting the idea on your website. Another might be to file a trademark application if you have a brand name or logo you want to protect. A further way might be to file for copyright registration on your website.

Mr. Jason P. Webb
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Aug 16th, 2012 at 12:43 AM
There are five kinds of intellectual property and different ways to protect each of them. The problem with putting something on the internet is that it makes it really easy for anybody in the world to steal your ideas. So, you definitely want to have protection of some kind in place before launching your website. However, there is no cookie cutter approach to intellectual property protection. You need to put together a plan for what you will protect, how and when.