Do I have the legal rights to where my logo is used?

Asked on Aug 16th, 2011 on Patents - Texas
If I own a logo does that mean I have the rights to anything that logo is embed into?
Answered on Aug 19th, 2011 at 7:54 AM
You question is a bit unclear, but I will do my best to provide an answer. As long as your logo, service mark or trademark are not infringing another's rights, you should be able to use you logo on any products or services your company provides. The rights you have are in the "look" of the logo (or design) and the specific words that are tied to your company. A logo, trademark or service mark does not protect ideas or the specific mechanics of products. For example, if you design a new type of transmission and create a logo calling the transmission "Super Transmission," you will be able to prevent others from calling their transmissions "Super Transmission" but not prevent them from creating transmissions on their own that are called something else.