Can I distribute my paper if there is no duplication of name or content?

Asked on Feb 25th, 2011 on Patents - Oregon
I left my partners of a small town newspaper and started a newspaper in a town 90 minutes away. My paper has been very successful and a business owner in my original town wants to distribute my paper there with local advertisements. I have changed the name and layout of my former paper but have received a threatening letter from my former partners attorney stating that I can't distribute in the town. My understanding is that if there is no duplication of name or content, they have no basis to threaten me.
  • 4.8/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Mar 02nd, 2011 at 3:03 PM
You have done nothing wrong unless there was a noncompete clause in your contract or you have stole some of their copyrighted material. Sometimes it is just easier to go ahead until they file a lawsuit against you. Then you will be given a clear idea of what they believe you have done wrong. NOTICE: This email transmission may contain information that is protected by the attorney-client privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us.