What would happen to my boyfriend if he reported that he was illegal in order to get money owed to him?

Asked on Jan 23rd, 2011 on Immigration - California
What happens if an illegal alien reports themselves and the company that illegally employed them which owes them a large sum? My boyfriend isn't taking care of this matter. He is now back in his country but he worked as an independent contractor illegally and is owed a large sum of money. What would happen if he turned himself in and reported the company?
Answered on Jan 31st, 2011 at 7:13 PM
He can make a Wage claim with the Department of Labor to be paid what he is owed regardless of his immigration status or even that he is still in the U.S. An employment lawyer would be best suited to do this. Since he is overseas anyway there is nothing that can be done to him from an immigration status. Any illegal time in the U.E. or illegal employment may affect a later petition by you but the wage claim itself would not affect that or his rights to have you apply for him, apply for an immigrant visa and if applicable a waiver. If you want a consultation on the specific facts of his case, then contact me as indicated below.

Answered on Jan 24th, 2011 at 5:58 PM
I would need more facts to answer this one correctly.But why wasn't he paid? Did the company go bankrupt or was it some threats such as the company representative telling him they will have him deported if he complains? This might be a possible T visa.

Answered on Jan 24th, 2011 at 5:58 PM
He will be deported.