Under what circumstances should a US Green Card holder consider travel to Cuba? - Lawyers.com

Under what circumstances should a US Green Card holder consider travel to Cuba?

Asked on Mar 17th, 2019 on Immigration - California
I'm looking to travel to Cuba along with some friends / colleagues who are giving a research presentation, but I am NOT giving any presentations, nor have I been officially invited to the conference. Per the U.S. Embassy in Cuba's official website, there are 12 approved (non-illegal) categories for travel to Cuba. I'd be looking to travel under the "Professional research and professional meetings" or "Supporting Cuban people" category. However I'm concerned that even though I may meet the legal requirements, there is always a risk of being scrutinized during my Naturalization process. My questions are (1) how significant is the risk of me traveling and (2) are there anythings I can do to help minimize jeopardizing my Naturalization process?
Answered on Apr 14th, 2019 at 2:54 PM
If you meet the legal qualification under one of the 12 categories, you can travel to Cuba, but the trip may certainly be scrutinized as part of a naturalization application. You should keep records of your trip to Cuba relating to what you did when you were in the country in case you are questioned. Due to the limitations of the Lawyers.com Forums, Alan Lee, Esq.'s (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.