Is it legally worth changing the residency status of my girlfriend?

Asked on Dec 23rd, 2010 on Immigration - Tennessee
I am 38 born and raised in the United States. My girlfriend is Russian and is on an expired F1 visa. She and I are staying together no matter what. How can I get her legal and would it be worth it?
Answered on Jan 08th, 2011 at 10:43 AM
If you get married to her you will be able to petition for her, and she will be able to get her green card. It would be definitely worth to petition, especially before she ends up in removal proceedings, since then it would be much more difficult and expensive.

Baoqin Wang
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Dec 28th, 2010 at 10:28 AM
You can sponsor her green card after you get married. With the help of qualified attorney, she would be able to get her immigration status fixed.

DR
Daniel Ralph Richardson
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Dec 28th, 2010 at 7:13 AM
The only way you can get her legal status is by marrying her and thenprocessing an adjustment of status.

Answered on Dec 27th, 2010 at 3:58 PM
If you and your girlfriend get married she will be able to adjust status in the US, she will get a greencard and be able to work legally here so likely she will think its worth it since shell be able to work and stay here with you without fear of deportation.

Answered on Dec 27th, 2010 at 3:28 PM
Once you and your girlfriend are married you can file a petition for her and she can apply for her Green Card by filing for adjustment of status. As to your question "would it be worth it," if you want your wife to be able to legally live and work in the U.S. without the threat of being arrested and deported, being able to travel in and of the U.S. without facing a 10 year bar, and the both of you having the piece of mind of not having to look over your shoulders for ICE to arrest her, it is certainly worth it.

Answered on Dec 27th, 2010 at 3:28 PM
Marry her. Then file a combined family petition with an Adjustment package. Your girlfriend might be subject to removal (deportation).

Answered on Dec 27th, 2010 at 12:58 PM
Your girlfriend needs a new Visa. Student Visa, Tourist Visa, Work Visa. You could get married then you file an I-130. You must remain married for two years then even if you divorce she can apply for citizenship. If you divorce prior to two years she gets deported. Depending on her job skills or work history she may be eligible for a work visa. If the girlfriend is on an expired visa she is subject to deportation. She cannot fly or get a drivers license and cannot come into contact with the police. More states are passing laws to apprehend illegals even on traffic tickets.