If my husbad sings voluntary deportation, does he have a better chance of coming back?

Asked on Jul 23rd, 2011 on Immigration - Texas
More details to this question:
My husband came to the us with a visa then he got his permanent resident card in 2009. He admitted to grand larceny so now he is being detained by ice. I am his wife a us citizen and we have a daughter who is a us citizen. I want to know how we can prevent his deportation and if he was to sign voluntary deportation can he come back legally?
Answered on Aug 20th, 2011 at 1:49 PM
Your husband may be an aggravated felon. If so, he can never come back. You must contact an immigration attorney that handles criminal cases too. Let us know if we can help.

Report Abuse
Answered on Aug 05th, 2011 at 11:23 AM
You need to discuss this case with an experienced immigration lawyer. We need to assess if he can seek to readjust, or whether he has any other relief available.

Report Abuse
Christian Schmidt
Partner at
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
no peer reviews
no client reviews
Answered on Aug 04th, 2011 at 11:37 AM
Your husband may be eligible for relief form deportation. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney before your husband accepts voluntary departure. You first want to first see whether the U.S. government will be able to demonstrate that conviction actually renders him deportable. He can always request voluntary departure before an immigration judge at a later point. Don't let ICE pressure him to agree at an early stage without him knowing his options.

Report Abuse
no client reviews
Answered on Aug 04th, 2011 at 11:29 AM
Voluntary departure is certainly better than having an executed order of deportation. You should get all the arrest, charging and disposition documents for the criminal case and consult with an immigration attorney to see if he can re-apply for the green card.

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters