If I divorce my husband, how long do I have to get married so that I can become a citizen?

Asked on Jan 20th, 2011 on Immigration - California
I have been married to my husband for more than 5 years he is a resident but got in trouble with the law a long time ago and cant for some reason become a citizen. I want to know if I divorce him how long do I have to wait to get married again to a citizen?
Answered on Jan 31st, 2011 at 12:43 PM
Once legally divorced you can get re-married the next day. To get immigration benefits through your next spouse though be sure the marriage is in good faith. You may contact me as indicated below to schedule a consultation.

Answered on Jan 24th, 2011 at 4:43 PM
It will take two years.

Answered on Jan 22nd, 2011 at 4:13 AM
The law does not impose any time constraint.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jan 21st, 2011 at 5:58 PM
There is no time requirement. The only real question immigration will have is whether you are in a bona fide marriage will they think you are marrying a citizen to get a green card? So, if you divorce and remarry the next day, then you will have some explaining to do.

Jack C Sung
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jan 21st, 2011 at 2:43 PM
You can get married to a US citizen right after divorce. It will look suspicious to USCIS because it occurred soon after your divorce. However, it all depends on strong the new relationship is. For example, if you already know your new husband for 5 years and has been dating him on and off (having an affair) then it makes sense to marry right after divorce. If you hardly know your new husband then it would be weird to marry him right after the divorce. Exercise common sense and good judgment. The law does not require you to wait to get married to another citizen and apply for the green card.