I am living in the U.S. unlawfully, and if I marry a U.S. citizen . Will I be able to apply for a green card?

Asked on Jun 19th, 2018 on Immigration - Illinois
More details to this question:
I am dating a woman which is green card holder over 5 years and now she has applied for her citizenship. If we marry in the future can I be obtain my green card? we love each other..I don't wanna leave the county because I wont be able to get back.
Report Abuse
Answered on Jun 22nd, 2018 at 10:10 AM
As long as you entered the country legally, you can acquire a green card through marriage to a US citizen, despite that you're now in unlawful status. Did u enter the country legally? Furthermore, if you did enter the country legally, retain Immigratioon counsel to handle your case and do not travel out of the country or else you will trip the 3 or 10 year bar depending upon how much unlawful presence you have accrued. You can retain counsel anywhere in the USA. 

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters