I am American and my fiancé is Cuban. How long will he have to wait after we marry to come live in the US?

Asked on Jan 11th, 2019 on Immigration - Florida
More details to this question:
I am planning to marry my fiancé who lives in Cuba. I was born in the US. How long after we marry will he have to wait to come live in the US?
Report Abuse
Answered on Feb 08th, 2019 at 7:32 PM
I do not know if there are special circumstances for Cubans, but in general US citizens applying for fiancés and husbands overseas would wait about nine months for fiancées and one year for husbands. The choice is through applying as a K-1 fiancé or through an I-130 relative position. The choice is up to you. But please note that the conditions of the fiancé entry are that the couple must marry within 90 days, and then must file papers to adjust the noncitizen's status to permanent residence. Under the I-130 petition, the noncitizen spouse would enter with resident status. Due to the limitations of the Forums, Alan Lee, Esq.'s (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.  

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters