How do I apply for a visitor visa for a family member?

Asked on Jan 25th, 2011 on Immigration - California
More details to this question:
I am US citizen. Can I apply visitor visa for my bother?
Report Abuse
no client reviews
BV Distinguished
Answered on Feb 03rd, 2011 at 10:13 AM
You may apply for a visitor visa for your brother but the burden is on your brother to "prove" to the consulate that he is just coming for a temporary visit and he will return. This requires a strong showing of ties to his home country - long term job, in school, leaving family members behind. More likely to be successful if you just request a short visit the first time. If he is really interested in staying longer term then he should explore other visa types. If he or you would like a consult you may schedule this by contacting me as indicated below and I will advise fees and procedures.

Report Abuse
Answered on Jan 27th, 2011 at 9:28 AM
Individuals wishing to come to the U.S. as a visitor must apply themselves at the U.S. consulate having jurisdiction over their place of residence. The exact procedure is different at each consulate so your brother should go to the website of the consulate. To find the consulate/embassy nearest to him he should go to and click on "Find a U.S. Embassy."

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters