How can my husband get a green card if I am a green card holder?

Asked on Feb 06th, 2011 on Immigration - California
More details to this question:
I am a green card holder. I want to bring my husband with me in the US. How much time will it take to get him a green card?
Report Abuse
no client reviews
BV Distinguished
Answered on Feb 27th, 2011 at 5:22 PM
Yes you can petition for him but he will be in the FB-2a category which has a backlog of visas. As recently as last fall though this category was working on an August 2010 Priority Date (It is now back to January 2007) so definitely file an I-130 for him to get him in the queue and file for your own U.S. citizenship at the soonest date you are eligible (4 years and 9 months after your PR was granted assuming you meet the physical presence and other eligibility requirements). You may also want to look at other nonimmigrant options while he is waiting in the queue. If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case feel free to contact me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.

Report Abuse
Answered on Feb 07th, 2011 at 9:13 AM
Assuming you were not married when you got your Green Card, you have to petition your husband. Your husband would fall into the 2A Family Preference category, and it will take 3 to 6 years for him to be eligible to apply for his Green Card. However, if you become a U.S. Citizen while his petition is pending or after it is approved, the process will be sped up and he could he would be eligible to apply for his Green Card once you are a citizen.

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters