Do I have to file I-131 for long time absence with IR1 green card? - Lawyers.com

Do I have to file I-131 for long time absence with IR1 green card?

Asked on Apr 06th, 2015 on Immigration - New York
My husband has an IR1 green card expiring in 10 years. Can we travel and stay aroad for a year or more, or do we absolutely have to file form I 131 for a travel dcument before leavng?
Answered on Apr 07th, 2015 at 4:03 PM
Filing a reentry permit is something that is always optional. However, it is definitely recommended if you were going to be outside United States for the period of time you have specified in your query. However, please note that having close ties to the United States to show that you have not relinquished your lawful permanent residence there is just as important. For example, it is recommended that you file US tax returns with US address on an annual basis. They should not be the nonimmigrant tax returns. Also, be sure to be receiving mail had a US address. It is also helpful if you have a deed or lease to property in the US. Also, bank account information and utility information is generally helpful. This information is provided to you as a courtesy and should not be construed as legal advice by our law firm.

BC
Bruce A. Coane
  • 4.4/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
4.4/5.0
Answered on Apr 07th, 2015 at 12:00 PM
Nowadays, I recommend that green card holders get a reentry permit if they plan to be out of the country for more than a few months and certainly if they have regular long-term trips abroad.

Answered on Apr 07th, 2015 at 11:15 AM
Yes, in order to preserve his LPR status, he should apply for re-entry permit

Answered on Apr 07th, 2015 at 10:10 AM
You absolutely have to have reentry permit if you are planning on being out the US for a year and would like to keep your green card.