Can my fiance sponsor me after marriage?

Asked on Jan 02nd, 2011 on Immigration - California
My fiance (US Citizen) and I (Chinese) have planned to marry in a few months. can he sponsor my green card if he had previously been in jail for non child-support payment? He also has charges earlier in his life for underage drinking and domestic abuse, which his ex-wife stated it was a false report. He has 5 kids, but 2 of them are living with his ex and one with his mom. Only 2 kids staying with him are filled in his tax form. What is the size of household wew have to use for our application? Will all this be a problem for him to sponsor a green card?
Answered on Jan 17th, 2011 at 5:43 AM
Your fiance can sponsor you. The criminal problems he has are not going to affect your petition. According to what you say his household would be 4 people.

Baoqin Wang
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jan 04th, 2011 at 10:28 PM
Your questions are very specific and impossible to answer without first reviewing the relevant court and financial documents. You need to get those documents ready and provide them to an attorney for detailed consultation.

Answered on Jan 04th, 2011 at 9:58 AM
You have a lot of questions here. You do not say whether you are in or out of the U.S. Yes if your fiance is a U.S. citizen he may sponsor you K-1 or I-130 after marriage if overseas; adjustment to permanent residency if here. In order to know whether his domestic abuse charges will be a problem I would need to review the Court documents relating to this. The Adam Walsh Act which protects foreign spouses may come into play depending on whether he has a conviction for any charges covered under the Act and exactly what it is for. He will need to show the ability to support you at the level of at least 125 percent of the Poverty Guidelines family size will depend on the persons living in his household plus persons he claims as dependents on his tax return plus you. See the Chart attached. I would be happy to assist with your case. We do charge for consultations $350 per hour but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for further work on your behalf after the consultation. My contact information follows.

Jack C Sung
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jan 04th, 2011 at 8:28 AM
1. Yes he can sponsor you if he had previously been in jail for non child-support payments. 2. Yes he can still sponsor you if he had a drinking problem or have been convicted of domestic abuse. 3. His ability to sponsor depends on his income. I don't have that information here. 4. The household size should be 4 (him, 2 kids, and you). I highly recommend that you hire an attorney to help you with the paperwork, if you are not sure about the answers that go onto the forms.