Can I travel outside the US if I was convicted of two moral turpitude crimes?

Asked on Jan 22nd, 2011 on Immigration - California
Can I travel to Jamaica if I was convicted of two crimes involving moral turpitude? They both were misdemeanors, one was petit larceny. The other was endangering the welfare of a child, assault in the third degree.
Answered on Feb 02nd, 2011 at 5:58 PM
What is your status? You can always travel outside the U.S. subject to the rules of the other country. The problem is getting back in. I would need to see the criminal convictions, dates of the crimes, your status, etc. to properly advise. If you wish to retain us for a consult you may contact me as indicated below.

Answered on Jan 26th, 2011 at 5:13 AM
If you're a resident you run the risk of being placed in removal proceedings upon your return.

Jack C Sung
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jan 25th, 2011 at 6:28 PM
Without reviewing your court documents, the best answer I have for you is not to travel out of the US because having been convicted two crimes involving moral turpitude renders you inadmissible (not able to come in) when you return to the United States. The question really is whether your crimes are crimes involving moral turpitude (CIMT). CIMT is not uniform throughout the country and certain crimes are CIMT in some places but not others. Right off the bat I think petit larceny is definitely CIMT because it involves stealing (dishonesty act). However, the endangering the welfare of a child is unclear. I think in some states/jurisdictions it's not a CIMT while in other places it could be a CIMT. You should get your court documents from where you were convicted and sit down with an immigration lawyer in your jurisdiction to determine whether the crime of endangering a child is a CIMT in that jurisdiction.

Answered on Jan 25th, 2011 at 5:43 PM
Yes, if your are a legal permanent resident who has been convicted of one or more crimes involving moral turpitude you can be found inadmissible and put into removal proceeding upon your return to the U.S. Moreover, since you were convicted of two crimes you would not be eligible for the petty offense exemption. Also, the two crimes could also make you deportable to the U.S. and depending on why you received your Green Card, you may not be eligible to remain in the U.S.

Answered on Jan 25th, 2011 at 5:28 PM
There is a danger to be put in removal proceedings upon return to the US (if you are a green card holder).