Are there any options available for me to still apply for US Citizenship at this point of time or do I need to wait until I turn 29-32? - Lawyers.com

Are there any options available for me to still apply for US Citizenship at this point of time or do I need to wait until I turn 29-32?

Asked on Apr 03rd, 2015 on Immigration - California
I am currently 26 and was filling up my N400-Naturalization form, where for the first time I read that I had to register myself for selective service.
Answered on Apr 06th, 2015 at 6:00 PM
A male Permanent Resident who failed to register with the Selective Service before reaching age 26 still may be eligible to succeed with naturalization. In the naturalization petitioning process the applicant should supply a confirmation letter from the Selective Service showing that he now is too old to register, and he should supply testimony/documentary evidence that he failed to register solely because he was unaware of the legal requirement. It would be wise to work with an immigration attorney, especially for an application with this type of complication. Some immigration law firms, including mine, offer legal services on a "flat fee" basis so that a client will know the total expense from the very beginning, and a few immigration law firms, including mine, offer an initial consultation free of charge.

Answered on Apr 06th, 2015 at 5:58 PM
On your 31st birth day.

BC
Bruce A. Coane
  • 4.4/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
4.4/5.0
Answered on Apr 06th, 2015 at 2:14 PM
If you're eligible, I see no reason why you should not apply. Generally, only those who intentionally fail to register for selective service are barred from naturalization.

Svetlana Boukhny
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Apr 06th, 2015 at 10:08 AM
If you were not advised that you had to register and did not do that in a timely manner, simply indicate that on the N400 application. Explain it in an addendum if necessary or be prepared to explain at the interview. It should be fine.